Sunday, May 20, 2018

Fantastic 4: The Fall of the Fantastic Four

Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fall of the Fantastic FourFantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fall of the Fantastic Four by James Robinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When alien creatures invade New York from a portal inside the Baxter Building, it's the beginning of the end for the Fantastic Four...

The Fantastic Four has been one of my favorite comics for decades and this was their final run before going on a years long hiatus. With James Robinson at the helm, I couldn't pass this one up. After all, he was the man behind Starman so he gets special consideration from me. I wasn't crazy about the black and red outfits but it wound up being pretty good.

The book starts with Sue writing Valeria a letter, foreshadowing things to come. Strange winged aliens invade New York through a portal in the Baxter Building from the Heroes Reborn universe. Remember that? Anyway, Reed settles things by poisoning them and inadvertently robs Johnny of his powers. After thwarting the new Frightful Four with help from Ant-Man, She-Hulk, and Miss Thing, the Fantastic Four goes up against it's greatest foe of all... the legal system!

I think the reason this worked so well for me is that I could totally see the legal system screwing super heroes. SHIELD taking the Future Foundation into custody for their own protection was the icing on the cake.

James Robinson and Leonard Kirk have something special going here. I'm glad I already have the next three volumes in my possession. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment