Monday, May 21, 2018

Fantastic Four - Back in Blue

Fantastic Four, Volume 3: Back in BlueFantastic Four, Volume 3: Back in Blue by James Robinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The downfall of the Fantastic Four continues as Sue battles Doctor Doom for Valeria, The Thing plots to bust out of prison, and someone kidnaps the Future Foundation kids...

Back in Blue is the penultimate chapter in the end of the Fantastic Four storyline, the result of a dick measuring contest between Marvel and Fox executives. It also happens to be a very good story.

In this chapter, the architect behind the Fantastic Four's woes is revealed. Jams Robinson is getting some serious mileage out of the Heroes Reborn train wreck of the 1990s. The Fantastic Four is in pretty deep by the end. Robinson demonstrates a deep knowledge of Fantastic Four history and his characterization is spot on. The interplay between The Thing and the Sandman was one of my favorite parts of the book, as were Wyatt Wingfoot and Spidey giving Johnny a talking to.

I haven't mentioned the art on this run yet but now I'm a Leonard Kirk fan. I've been a Tom Grummett fan since the Reign of the Supermen so it's no surprise his artwork is pretty sharp.

The villain of the piece makes a certain amount of sense in a comic book sort of way. I'm glad Robinson didn't go back to the old wells for the villain, frankly.

The past three volumes set up a lot of dominoes. I expect them to tumble down in spectacular fashion in the final volume. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment