Friday, July 20, 2018

Getter Robo Devolution Vol.1

Getter Robo Devolution Vol. 1Getter Robo Devolution Vol. 1 by Ken Ishikawa
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When a giant monster attacks his school, orphan Nagare Ryoma finds he has a connection with a giant mecha, Getter Robo! But what is the Getter Robo and who are the other Robo pilots?

Fuck. Yeah. This is more like it! My manga self-education has been a little slow going so far but this was exactly the jolt I needed.

Getter Robo Devolution has everything I was looking for in a manga series: violence, giant robots, and giant monsters, with a side of angst. I was pulled right in during the opening, with orphan Nagare Ryoma's classmates revealing his tormented past and hassling his friend Michiru. The monster attack and the ensuing gore is what really set the hook.

The story is in its infancy in this volume but I'm in for the long haul. The conflicting personalities between the pilots and the shady motives of Saotome have lots of potential. The art is fantastic and the story moves at lightning speed while still being pretty clear.

Needless to say, Getter Robo Devolution Vol. 1 made quite an impression on me. Now I'll be needing the rest of them. Five out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment