Saturday, September 15, 2018

Made in Abyss volume 2

Made in Abyss, Vol. 2Made in Abyss, Vol. 2 by Akihito Tsukushi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Riko and Reg plunge into the Abyss on their quest to find Riko's mother. When they run into Ozen, a white whistle who knew her mother, things take a dark turn...

Here we are, the second volume of Made in Abyss. Riko and Reg descend into the Abyss, trek the Inverted Forest, and meet Orzen, a white whistle who has some dark secrets. I really enjoy the world Akihito Tsukushi has created. Like I said in my review of the first volume, it makes me want to play some Dungeons and Dragons set in Orth and the Abyss. The artwork continues to astound, cutesy yet intricate. I find myself getting attached to the main characters quite a bit.

However, the second volume of Made in Abyss didn't blow my doors off the way the first one did. Some of the newness has worn off. There's some unsettling moments, like Riko shirtless, Riko wetting the bed, and Marulk being stripped and whipped. Maybe it's a cultural thing but it's a little uncomfortable.

All that being said, I'm still hooked enough to continue the series. Let's hope the weird pedo tone gets dialed way back in the next volume and doesn't detract from the interesting story. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment