Saturday, October 6, 2018

Captain Harlock: The Classic Collection Vol. 2

Captain Harlock: The Classic Collection Vol. 2Captain Harlock: The Classic Collection Vol. 2 by Leiji Matsumoto
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Space Pirate Captain Harlock continues his war against the Mazon, whether Earth deserves his help or not...

While I wasn't blown out of the water by Captain Harlock: The Classic Collection Vol. 1, I was interested enough to continue and I'm glad I did. Whereas volume 1 was mostly setup, there was a lot of meat to this one. The Arcadia goes from battle to battle, learning more about the Mazon and narrowly escaping death. The crew gets closer to some of Harlock's secrets and the Mazon threat is more resourceful than anyone thought.

Some of the gender politics in this book were ahead of their time and once again Harlock rails against humanity's complacency. You have to wonder if he won't wind up blasting earth himself in the final volume.

Mimay continues to be my favorite character, an alien female who subsists on alcohol. Daibo is coming along. Harlock's still mysterious. I do wonder if his background will be revealed in the final volume. The Mazon have a lot more depth than was apparent in the first volume.

Captain Harlock: The Classic Collection Vol. 2 was vastly more enjoyable than the first volume. To paraphrase Arnold Rimmer it has better art, better writing, bettter... better. Just better. Four out of five stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment