Sunday, November 25, 2018

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Lost And Found

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Lost And FoundAnt-Man and the Wasp: Lost And Found by Mark Waid
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Stuck on Xandar, Ant-Man contacts Nadia Van Dyne, aka The Unstoppable Wasp, for help. The two wind up stranded in the Microverse. Will Ant-Man be able to find his way home in time for his daughter's birthday?

The Ant-Man movies are my favorite Marvel movies and I loved the Unstoppable Wasp series from a couple years ago. This one should have been a slam dunk for me. It was not.

I didn't give this a 1 star rating because I didn't actively hate it but I did not enjoy it. The setup was fine but everything after that kind of sucked. Well, the artwork wasn't bad but it was a little too busy in some places.

My main issues with the book are as follows. Ant-Man was clearly supposed to be movie Ant-Man, not the Ant-Man of Nick Spencer's run or Matt Fraction's Fantastic Four run. Still, that would be okay except this version of Scott Lang is kind of a dufus and doesn't have Paul Rudd's charm. Nadia's character is inconsistent with the way she was handled in Unstoppable Wasp. She comes off being pretty cold instead of being in love with life. The Microverse was also inconsistent, much more in keeping with the quantum realm of the movies than any previous portrayal of the Microverse.

The story starts off okay but slowly devolves into a lot of quantum jibber jabber. I think it's a product of decompression. There was about three issues of material stretched into five. Another problem is letting the movies influence the comics but not going all in with it. Either let the movies drive the comics or keep them separate. The half-assed pseudo-integration doesn't really help either party.

Just so it doesn't sound like I'm humbugging the whole thing, I did enjoy Scott racing to exit Nadia's tear ducts so he didn't burst through her skull and cause a huge mess. Scott's heart to heart with Nadia about Hank Pym was also good.

Rather than being a fun adventure, Lost and Found was kind of chore. While I didn't enjoy this, I won't begrudge anyone that did. Two stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment