Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Astro City: Lovers Quarrel

Astro City, Vol. 12: Lovers QuarrelAstro City, Vol. 12: Lovers Quarrel by Kurt Busiek
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lovers Quarrel collections six issues of Astro City.

Ever wonder what happens when super heroes get old and have to face the fact that they won't be able to chase super villains forever? That's the premise behind the main tale in this volume. Quarrel and Crackerjack are street level heroes staring fifty in the face, struggling to keep going as their bodies break down. Since my shoulder and lower back hurt about half the time, I related all too well to this tale.

Quarrel's origin is told and her turbulent relationship with Crackerjack is explored. Jack's still a mystery for the most part, hung up on finding a way to regain his lost youth, which leads everyone into trouble. It's just the kind of human-based story I've come to expect in Astro City.

The other tale in the collection is of a talking gorilla that comes to Astro City to make music but keeps getting caught up in the super life. I liked it quite a bit but not as much as the lead tale.

There's a lot more action in this volume than some of the previous ones. Sticks does quite a bit of heroing and Quarrel and Crackerjack engage in their share of heroics. My favorite part of this volume was the relationship between Quarrel and Crackerjack, though.

Once again, I enjoyed my stay in Astro City and look forward to the next visit with great anticipation. Four out of five stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment