Monday, September 30, 2019

Doctor Strange: Across the Universe

Doctor Strange, Vol. 1: Across The UniverseDoctor Strange, Vol. 1: Across The Universe by Mark Waid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Doctor Strange gradually loses his affinity for magic on Earth and takes to the stars for answers...

Doctor Strange: Across the Universe collects Doctor Strange 1-5 by Mark Waid and Jesus Saiz. Saiz's art is gorgeous. He uses a lot of computer effects but he uses them very well. His aliens and planetary environs are superb and he draws a mean Stephen Strange.

And now for the story. Mark Waid is very hit or miss for me. I loved him on Daredevil and his Indestructible Hulk was okay. Everything else of his I've read hasn't left much of a mark but I haven't read all that much of his stuff.

Anyway, this was great. Doctor Strange goes to the stars for answers and slowly rebuilds his magical portfolio with Kanna, an alien arcanologist. Armed with some new skills, Strange thwarts an invasion and winds back in the vicinity of Earth. In and of itself, it was an above average tale but the pacing elevated it quite a bit in my estimation.

I shit on a lot of today's comics for being written for trades but this one didn't feel padded to me. The individual issues leaned on each other but they had the requisite amount of meat that I wouldn't have felt ripped off reading them one at a time. I won't say anything about the ending other than I will definitely be getting the next volume once I get the comic pile down to a more manageable level.

Doctor Strange: Across the Universe is the best Mark Waid book I've read since Daredevil and Jesus Saiz's art is fantastic. Four out of five Eyes of Agamotto.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment