Sunday, June 28, 2020

Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 1

Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 1Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 1 by Stan Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Earth's mightiest heroes join forces as... The Mighty Avengers!

The Avengers have never been my favorite team but I have a soft spot for Avengers #4 since it's part of one of my treasured possessions, the Pocket Books Captain America from the 1970s. Anyway, I saw this on sale for fairly cheap and picked it up.

Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers volume 1 contains Avengers 1-10. Highlights include formation of the team, The Hulk leaving the team to battle them with Namor, and Captain America's revival. The writing is pure Silver Age Stan Lee, for good and for bad. Issues 9 and 10 are drawn by Don Heck and Dick Ayers but 1-8 are drawn by Jack Kirby.

The Avengers were a little overpowered at the start with Hulk and Thor on the team. Namor on a rampage is my favorite era of Namor so I was all over this. Of course, my favorite issue by far was Cap joining the team.

Even though Stan Lee's dialog is as ham fisted as ever, there's a certain charm to these stories. You can tell Stan and Jack were still having a good time working together at this point. It's astonishing how many characters Kirby created at Marvel.

Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers is a fun look at Earth's Mightiest Heroes in their embryonic form. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment