Saturday, July 11, 2020

American Barbarian

American Barbarian: The Complete SeriesAmerican Barbarian: The Complete Series by Tom Scioli
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When his family falls to the forces of Two Tank Omen, Meric swears revenge and wages war on his enemies as... The American Barbarian!

My wife grabbed this for me for my birthday. I was a fan of Scioli's Fantastic Four: Grand Design so I figured I'd backtrack into his back catalog.

Scioli flies his Kirby flag high on American Barbarian, an homage to Thundarr, Kamandi, Devil Dinosaur, and the Fourth World, among other things. Scioli's art is heavily influenced, as is his writing, for better or for worse. This feels like a lost Kirby work, complete with character names containing puns, like Two Tank Omen, the Pharaoh with tanks for feet.

The story is s a post apocalyptic barbarian revenge story infused with as much Kirbyness as it can hold. There are cosmic aspects, dinosaurs, robots, cursing, bloodshed, time travel, and lots of barbarian action. 'Nuff said.

American Barbarian is bursting with bombastic Kirbytude. Four out of five star swords.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment