Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen? by Matt Fraction
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Who killed Jimmy Olsen? That's what Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen, is trying to find out...

When I saw the Hawkeye band was getting back together, I decided I'd be reading this. It was agony waiting for the trade.

This twelve issue miniseries is a loveletter to the Silver Age craziness of Jimmy Olsen, updated for the modern age. Jimmy Olsen wakes up married in Gorilla City and things spiral from there. Someone is gunning for Superman's Pal, but why? Jimmy's quest takes him to Gotham City and beyond with cameos and hilarity for most of the way.

I've seen this touted as the best book DC has put out in years. For me, that honor still goes to the Flintstones but this was still an easy four star read. For one thing, for a book this densely written, it still dragged in places. For another, the disjointed structure was fairly unnecessary. Apart from one comment about the nature of time from Professor Keenbean (not his real name), the time jumps took me out of the story rather than make me hunger for what was happening next.

Still, it was a pretty fun read. I enjoyed Metamorpho's role as well as Jimmy's prank war with Batman and callbacks to a lot of old Jimmy Olsen stuff. Plus Enemy Ape!

While it didn't quite live up to the hype for me, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen falls somewhere in between All Star Superman and The Flintsones in the pantheon of great DC books of the last 20 years. Four out of five bowties.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment