Sunday, January 3, 2021

Ash & Thorn

Ash & Thorn: Volume One: Recipe for DisasterAsh & Thorn: Volume One: Recipe for Disaster by Mariah McCourt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A world devouring apocalypse is nigh and the only things standing in its way are two elderly women?

Ahoy Comics put out some interesting offerings and I'm always willing to give them a chance so I grabbed this when it came out.

Lottie Thorn is the chosen one but instead of a teenager, she's an elderly woman who enjoys drinking tea and baking. Her mentor is Lady Peruvia Ashlington-Voss, a Guardian that has been trying to avert the end of the world for ages. Lottie's teenage sidekick Sarah rounds out the side of good. The villain of the piece is a cosmically huge collection of eyes and mouths.

McCourt takes some changes with the story, subverting my expectations. It doesn't go straight from point A to point B like I thought it might. Still, the whole thing feels like Neil Gaiman Lite at times, from the story itself to the monster that I swore was in a couple issues of Sandman.

Ash & Thorn is another fun comic from Ahoy Comics. Three out of five battle scones.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment