Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus: Volume 2

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus: Volume TwoBatman by Grant Morrison Omnibus: Volume Two by Grant Morrison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After the events of Final Crisis, Batman is dead. Or is he? No, of course he isn't. While Dick and Damian defend Gotham City as Batman and Robin, Bruce Wayne Quantum Leaps through time...

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus: Volume Two collects stories from Batman #700-702, Batman and Robin #1-16 and Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6.

The Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne run of Batman and Robin were some of my favorite comics in years and I unfortunately lost the trades in a purge a few years ago. I nabbed this for a cool $35 solely so I could read the adventures of this fresh dynamic duo again.

As I mentioned in my somewhat sarcastic teaser, the book is split into two threads - one featuring Dick and Damian experiencing growing pains as Batman and Robin as they try to take the place of Bruce Wayne and Tim Drake, and another as Bruce Wayne travels through time toward the present.

The Dick and Damian thread was my favorite. The flying Batmobile and battling Red Hood, Professor Pyg, and Dr. Hurt was great, my favorite part by far was the interplay between Dick and Damian and the evolution of their relationship. I enjoyed this more the second read through since my first time was colored with the spectre of Bruce Wayne returning as Batman looming over the proceedings.

The Return of Bruce Wayne portion was new to me and much better than I was anticipating. It was far easier to understand than I imagined and Bruce Wayne doing the Quantum Leap thing toward the future was a lot of fun.

As much as I rag on modern Batman, it was a huge moment when Batman showed up at the end to help Dick and Damian against Dr. Hurt and the assembled underworld of Gotham. I wasn't really planning on ever reading Batman Incorporated but I intend on grabbing the next omnibus if I can find it on the cheap.

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus: Volume Two is some of the best modern Batman material out there and just a shade behind the first volume. 4.25 out of 5 Batarangs.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment