Sunday, August 1, 2021

Young Shadow

Young ShadowYoung Shadow by Ben Sears
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While out patrolling Bolt City one night, super hero Young Shadow finds a mysterious key...

The art style and the black, white, and yellow color scheme caught my eye and piqued my interest. Not long after, my wife bought it for me for some reason.

Anyway, this is a dystopian super hero story, drawn in the style that's remniscent of a children's book but with some Vaugh Bode thrown in for good measure. There's some surprisingly intricate linework in the backgrounds. It looks to me like Ben Sears used a combination of pen, ink, and charcoal for the drawings. The coloring is black, white, and various shades of yellow, giving the book a unique look.

The story is pretty standard super hero fair. Young Shadow has the MacGuffin and everyone else wants it. The characters aren't all that deep but it's a super hero book so that's par for the course. I really don't have anything bad to say about Young Shadow. I liked it but wasn't ass over tea kettle for it. I'll give Ben Sears another shot if the opportunity presents itself.

Young Shadow was a fun read for a Sunday morning. Three out of five stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment