Monday, January 24, 2022

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt OmnibusPeter Cannon: Thunderbolt Omnibus by Alex Ross
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Thunderbolt goes public with his secret identity, Peter Cannon, enemies come out of the woodwork to take him down...

I'm a fan of the Charlton characters and I saw this on InstockTrades for cheap a while back. I thought it was the newer Thunderbolt omnibus but it was still a great read.

Trained at a lamasery in the Himalayas, Peter Cannon has mastery of his body and mind. When he creates an illusionary dragon to deter nuclear testing, he opens a can of worms. Cannon creating an illusionary dragon kind of reminds me of Ozymandias in Watchmen, which makes sense since Ozymandias was based on Cannon. People come gunning for him and his abilities are tested to their limits and beyond.

I had no expectation to like this as much as I did. Peter Cannon is an ass kicking martial arts hero, determined to help humanity without ruling them. Other people studied the same scrolls as Peter, making for some tough enemies, along with US Government super soldiers. There are some guest appearances by a couple Charlton characters that made me smile.

Jonathan Lau's art couple with Simon Bowland's color give the book the feel of painted pulp covers at times, probably intentional. Steve Darnall and Alex Ross give the book a great pace. Single issues were gripping on their own. I didn't once thing there was any filler.

This wasn't the Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt omnibus I thought I was buying but it was great. 4 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment