Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 3

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 3Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 3 by John Byrne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Superman: The Man of Steel Volume 3 collects Superman #12-15, Adventures of Superman #436-438, Action Comics #594-597, Superman: The Earth Stealers #1, Action Comics Annual #1, Superman Annual #1, Adventures of Superman Annual #1, Booster Gold #23.

My trip through the John Byrne Superman run continues. In this volume, Superman goes up against Toyman, Braniac, the Earth Stealers, Titano, and the Manhunters, among other threats. He also tangles with Booster Gold and witnesses the fall of Gangbuster.

Most of the old favorite pieces are on the table with the introduction of Braniac. The Booster Gold crossover and The Earth Stealers are my favorite parts of this collection, possibly because it's one of the first times Dan Jurgens drew the Man of Steel and one of the last for Curt Swan.

The relationship with Lois progresses, and I'm surprised Byrne addressed Lori Lemaris since Superboy dating a mermaid is one of the silly Silver Age things I thought would never be mentioned again.

Millennium had an interesting influence on this book. I like that it lead to team-ups with Spectre and Green Lantern but all of Smallville's kids being Manhunter sleeper agents was a little out there. I wonder if it was a contributing factor to Byrne leaving the book the following year.

The Byrne run is nearing completion. I wonder if Byrne was running out of steam at this point, though. 3.5 out of 5 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment