Sunday, April 22, 2018

Hawkworld

HawkworldHawkworld by Timothy Truman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Idealistic young Katar Hol rejected his privileged upbringing to be part of the police force but soon finds out that Thanagar's seedy underbelly is a thousand times worse than he expected...

I've never been much of a Hawkman fan but I've loved Tim Truman's artwork since Grimjack and Scout. I unearthed Hawkworld for a cool three bucks a comic convention and decided it was time to read it, only twenty-something years late to the party.

Hawkworld sees Katar Hol go from being a young cop to a patsy to an exile on a remote island to taking the final steps to becoming Hawkman. The man against his own culture theme reminded me of Elric a bit. While a lot of reboots felt unnecessary, I feel like this one did a lot to modernize Hawkman and make him a potential A-lister for DC. That didn't happen but it could have with the right creative team.

The artwork is well-suited to the tale, full of alien creatures and ancient weapons. It's a lot more in line with what Truman's later work on Jonah Hex than his Scout stuff. Truman's Dungeons and Dragons roots were showing quite a bit in the gritty underworld of Thanagar. Byth recast as a dirty cop worked pretty well for me. It was pretty thrilling once Katar came for Byth after a decade of exile.

Hawkworld was damn good. Now I want to go out and track down subsequent Hawkman tales, to find out how this Hawkman and Hawkwoman wound up on earth. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment