Saturday, July 21, 2018

Chew Volume 6: Space Cakes

Chew, Vol. 6: Space CakesChew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes by John Layman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

With Tony laid up in the ICU, his friends have their hands full. Can Toni, Colby, Poyo, and Valenzano pick up the slack?

Yeah, that's not a precisely accurate teaser but I didn't want to spoil anything.

There's a lot going on in this book. I think sticking Tony in the hospital for a few issues was the spark this book needed. While the bird flu conspiracy hasn't advanced, the subplot involving the vampire has quite a bit.

Toni gets quite a bit of character development and her past is explored a bit. The partnership between Colby and Poyo was more entertaining than I thought it would be. I wasn't crazy about the Poyo solo story but it still had its moments.

Much like with the last volume, the ending was a shocker that made me want to read the next one immediately. I can't imagine reading this one in singles. It reads a lot better in collections.

That's about all I have to say. The status quo has been disrupted and I'm looking forward to reading the next book. Space Cakes was the kick in the ass the series needed to get back on track. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment