Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Made in Abyss 4

Made in Abyss, Vol. 4Made in Abyss, Vol. 4 by Akihito Tsukushi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Riko, Reg, and Nana-Chi venture deeper into the Abyss, to the domain of The Sovereign of Dawn...

Wow, shit took a really dark turn in this one. Riko recovers from the events of the third book and goes deeper into the Abyss in search of her mother. Reg finds out he has a limited shelf life and that's before the manure hits the windmill.

The artwork in this series continues to amaze me, an ink-washed mix of cute and grotesque. I find the world extremely interesting and I've grown fond of Riko and Reg.

On the other hand, there's still an ick factor. Riko, and Reg are sexualized to some extent, disturbing considering they're pre-teens. Well, a pre-teen and a robot that looks like a pre-teen. Not only that, this volume had some choppy transitions between scenes and wasn't as clear as the previous three.

Despite the warts, I'm in for the final two volumes. How could I turn back when I'm already this deep into the Abyss?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment