Friday, November 23, 2018

The Terrifics: Meet the Terrifics

The Terrifics Vol. 1: Meet the Terrifics (New Age of Heroes)The Terrifics Vol. 1: Meet the Terrifics by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bonded together by the strange energies of the Dark Multiverse, Mister Terrific, Metamorpho, Plastic Man, and Phantom Girl fight crime as... The Terrifics!

Unless Michael Allred is involved, I don't normally pick up new super hero comics anymore since the cost vs. content ratio is terrible. However, I've had my eye on The Terrifics for a while since it seemed to be an homage to the Fantastic Four. I finally nabbed this a couple days ago after trading some stuff in.

Much as I thought, The Terrifics are an homage to the classic era of the Fantastic Four, taking on huge menaces, including the biggest menace of all: functioning as a team. Overall, I like what I've read so far. The team gets established and faces a variety of menaces. Seeds are planted for future stories, like Tom Strong! Alan Moore would be furious if he wasn't already furious all the time.

The stories are more self-contained and less decompressed than most modern comics. I think the book suffers a bit from switching artists. Also, Mr. Terrific does a lot of heavy-handed exposition, just like Reed Richards. I like the bickering rivalry between Plastic Man and Metamorpho and Phantom Girl has a lot of potential. I'm really curious as to where the Tom Strong storyline is going.

Meet the Terrifics isn't Fantastic but shows a lot of potential. I'll be grabbing the next volume at some point. Three out of five stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment