Saturday, February 16, 2019

Danger Zone One: Welcome to Pallad City

Danger Zone One, Vol. 1: Welcome to Pallad City!Danger Zone One, Vol. 1: Welcome to Pallad City! by Midnight
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fresh out of the academy, Reena Saffron joins the Pallad City PD. Will she survive her first week on duty and her partner, the frosty Madison Wynter?

The stars were right when I stumbled up on this. I was skimming Kickstarter sometime during my Masamune Shirow manga binge when I noticed this. I don't normally read web comics but this one was bound for my reading convenience. This is one of the Kickstarters I've contributed to for which I have no regrets.

Danger Zone One is both the name of the web comic and the nickname for Pallad City, its setting. Naive, cute young rookie cop Reena Saffron is paired with hard-edged Madison Wynter. Hilarity, action, and gratuitous T&A ensue. It's a lot a fun.

My problem with most manga is that while I like the art, the pace is usually glacial. Not so with Danger Zone One. The pacing is straight out of bronze age American comics and the art is top notch, far beyond what I expect from a web comic. This 200 page Kickstarter edition contains some sketchbook material and also some one page gag strips. It was well worth putting in on the Kickstarter for this. My one gripe is that I wish Katsu would have illustrated the whole thing but I'm guessing that was something out of Midnight's control.

The stories are fun romps and not just an excuse to show ass and cleavage shots, although there are still plenty of those. The girls take on a guy in power armor, a maniacal jack o'lantern, and a mad scientist and her humanoid shark creation. All in a day's work for Pallad City's finest.

Danger Zone One is a fun police manga and well worth investigating. 4.5 out of 5 bullets.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment