Friday, May 24, 2019

Time Beavers

Time BeaversTime Beavers by Timothy Truman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When rats steal three Objects of Particular Power from the Dam of Time, all of existence is in danger. Can Slapper and the rest of the Time Beavers retrieve the objects and save the Dam?

I'm a Tim Truman fan from way back. When I learned of this book's existence, I knew I had to read it.

Tim Beavers may have been born during the mutant animal craze after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hit the scene but it doesn't feel like a knockoff in the least. The law vs. chaos dynamic of the beavers and the rats feels very Moorcockian. The Dam of Time reminds me of Cynosure, the city at the heart of time from Tim Truman and John Ostrander's Grimjack.

The art is vintage Tim Truman, gritty and full of little details. The oversized format is the perfect format to showcase Truman's attention to detail. His Dungeons and Dragons module roots show in this work as the Time Beavers encounter the Three Musketeers, Abraham Lincoln, and Hitler while trying to bring the Objects of Particular Power back to the Dam of Time in time to stop the rats from destroying it. It's surprisingly serious for a comic about talking time-traveling beavers.

Time Beavers exceeded all expectations. Beavers, rats, and time travel: Oh my! Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment