Sunday, August 15, 2021

Paul Kupperberg's Secret Romances: The Collected Edition

Paul Kupperberg's Secret Romances: The Collected EditionPaul Kupperberg's Secret Romances: The Collected Edition by Paul Kupperberg
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paul Kupperberg's Secret Romances: The Collected Edition is a collection of 13 romance stories written by Paul Kupperberg.

Romance comics are a huge gap in my comics knowledge but I trust Paul Kupperberg so I gave this a shot. I was not disappointed.

Paul Kupperberg recruited an all-star team of talent for this with Jose Luis Garcia doing a pinup, originally the cover of Secret Romances #1, and Dean Haspiel doing the pinup that started life as Secret Romances #2. Steve Lightle, Joe Staton, Fernando Ruiz, and others provide the rest of the art in a variety of styles.

The art alone is probably worth picking this up for. Luckily, the stories are pretty good too. A lot of them are structured with an EC style reversal of fortune ending. You get an elderly judge and his wife, scientists, cops, intergalactic explorers, all everyday sorts of people who fall in love all the time, right?

The stories range from cute to touching to shocking. You don't see bondage masks in many romance comics is all I'm saying. Or do you? I haven't read that many romance comics...

Paul Kupperberg's Secret Romances: The Collected Edition shows Paul Kupperberg is clearly the master of romance. We should all make sure our wives and daughters are safely locked up when he's in town. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment