Monday, August 16, 2021

Rough Pearl

The Rough PearlThe Rough Pearl by Kevin Mutch
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is going to be a short review because I'm having trouble quantifying how I feel about it.

Adam Kline hates his job and it's too crazy about his wife when he begins having blackouts and waking up in a weird realm of floating eyes. Stuff starts happening in the real world that reflects his weird blackouts.

The art is pretty cool. It reminds me of Michael Allred, Dan Clowes, and a few others. The use of gray tones adds a little something to the proceedings, reminding me of the early Madman issues before it went to color.

The story was decent. Adam tries to break into the art world or at least get a different job at the college where he teaches, trying to bust out of a rut. Weird stuff happens, some of it open to interpretation.

I really liked the weirder elements of this book. What I didn't like is that Adam is kind of an asshole in a book populated by far too many assholes and nothing substantial actually happens. It also has the dreaded 'open to interpretation' ending. Is that a spoiler? I don't care at this point.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment