Monday, May 9, 2022

Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes

Tarzan on the Planet of the ApesTarzan on the Planet of the Apes by Tim Seeley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When young John Clayton's parents were killed, he is raised by... Cornelius and Zira? With their son Milo as his brother? Can Tarzan and Milo prevent the future of the Planet of the Apes? And do they want to?

Crossovers: they usually suck, right? I mean, apart from Archie vs. Predator. Since I've been on a Tarzan kick off and on for the last six months or so, I had to give this a read.

I was wondering how Tim Seeley and crew would put the two best ape properties together. It seems that Cornelius and Zira escape the Planet of the Apes in Taylor's shuttle and wind up in the late 1800s instead of 1973. Tarzan and Milo are raised side by side until trouble starts a-brewin'.

I'll gloss over the specifics but there are appearances by other Edgar Rice Burroughs characters and settings and some time travel is involved. Classic Ape moments are revisited with Tarzan interjected in the proceedings. Will the maniacs blow it all up again? Probably...

Both properties are treated with respect. Frankly, this is the best way I could imagine the crossover going. The art fits the story perfectly. I'm not sure who Fernando Dagnino's model was for Tarzan but the ape man looked savage, yet intelligent. The apes were all on-model and I could hear the voices of Cornelius, Zira, Ursus, and Dr. Zaius as I read their dialog.

Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes was a fun, well executed crossover between the top ape-related franchises in science fiction/fantasy. Four out of five time traveling shuttles.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment