Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Mighty Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men

Mighty Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men Vol. 1: The Strangest Super-Heroes of AllMighty Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men Vol. 1: The Strangest Super-Heroes of All by Stan Lee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mighty Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men Vol. 1: The Strangest Super-Heroes of All collects X-Men #1-10.

I've been buying these new Masterworks with the Michael Cho covers so my wife bought this for me for my birthday or Father's day or some such occasion.

Nobody mentions X-Men #1-10 when great Silver Age Marvel books are brought up so I was surprised at how good this was. Lee and Kirby worked the bugs out of the Marvel Method and the bickering family-style team by this point so this stuff is pretty slick.

A lot of formative stuff appears here: first X-Men, first Professor X, first Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, first Ka-Zar, well, that last one isn't all that important.

Stan Lee does the words while Jack Kirby does the pencils with Paul Reinman and Chic Stone on inks. The usual put upon S. Rosen and A. Simek do the lettering. Speaking of, I noticed a couple instances of characters being called by the wrong name and a 'from' instead of a 'form.' I wonder if Sam Rosen or Artie Simek was tired of Stan Lee's crap that day and let those pass.

The stories hold up pretty well, full of action and the bickering team dynamic. I'd say this reads better than the first year of Avengers or Fantastic Four. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment