Sunday, November 27, 2022

Annihilus Revealed

Annihilus Revealed (Fantastic Four Epic Collection, #8)Annihilus Revealed by Roy Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Annihilus Revealed collects Fantastic Four #126-146 and Giant-Size Super-Stars #1

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm a FF fan from way back and I'm slowly chewing my way through the series. This is an odd volume. Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway are still picking up the pieces after Jack Kirby and later Stan Lee left. Joe Sinnott does the inks and John Buscema, Ross Andru, Rich Buckler, and Ramona Fradon do the pencils.

The stories are actually pretty good. I read some of them before in Fantastic Four Masterworks #13 but forgot most of them. We get losers like Miracle Man and Gregory Gideon as well as heavyweights like Annihilus. Thundra joins the Frightful Four and Medusa joins the Fantastic Four after Reed and Sue split.

I'm glad the next volume comes out in 2023 because I have no idea how Reed and Sue ever get back together after Reed blasts Franklin with a ray that turns him into a vegetable to prevent him from destroying the solar system. Medusa is settling in as a replacement Fantastic Four member nicely, though. I'm sure fans shit on it at the time, though, as they do any time something in comics changes. I think it freshens things up a bit, though.

It's cool how Conway stayed away from the heavy hitters for the most part, although Dr. Doom does eventually make an appearance. I think they were still figuring out what to do with the Four post-Kirby. Rich Buckler replacing John Buscema as the long term penciller was a nice touch.

Four out of five stars. I'm itchin' to read the next volume!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment