Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters Saga Omnibus Volume 2

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters Saga Omnibus Vol. 2Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters Saga Omnibus Vol. 2 by Mike Grell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters Saga Omnibus Vol. 2 collects Green Arrow #51-80; Green Arrow Annual #4-6; The Brave and the Bold #1-6; Shado: Song of the Dragon #1-4; and Green Arrow: The Wonder Year #1-4.

Here we are, the conclusion of Mike Grell's six year run of Green Arrow plus some odds and ends. Grell writes or co-writes everything in here. Dan Jurgens, Rick Hoberg, Shea Pensa, and others supply the art. There's not a good credits page in this one like there was in the last one.

Anyway, Green Arrow returns to Seattle and Black Canary and resumes his life as an urban hunter. Old frenemies like Eddie Fyres and Shado return. Lots of people get shot with arrows in Green Arrow's war on street crime.

There's a lot more to it than that. Grell weaves some great crime tales. I'm floundering here trying to quantify why I liked this so much. I will tell you that I did not care for the Brave and the Bold miniseries featuring Green Arrow, The Question, and The Butcher. The story and art were all over the place and I can't imagine anyone involved was satisfied with it.

Back to the good stuff, Grell is a masterful writer, even though some of the subject matter is a bit dated by now with so many references to Vietnam. Other than that, it feels pretty timeless. A guy trying to do his best to fight crime and corruption is as timely then as it is 3o years later. While I'm curious as to what happened after Grell left the book, I don't think I'll be seeking that stuff out.

Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment