Saturday, January 14, 2023

Richard Stark's Parker - The Hunter

ParkerParker by Darwyn Cooke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I found out the local used bookstore was closing for good, I headed down there to use up my store credit. This was one of my purchases.

I last read the Parker series when University of Chicago Press reissued them and I forgot most of the wrinkles of the first book so this was an all new reading experience for the most part.

Darwyn Cooke has crafted something amazing here. Unlike a lot of adaptations, it stands on its own but remains faithful to the spirit of the original work. I was skeptical that Cooke's Tothian style would be suitable for the subject matter but he brilliantly captures the tone of the series.

His Parker is a little more handsome than I pictured Parker when I read the books but I was quickly on board. The baddest thief around is the baddest thief around in any medium. This was a slam dunk for me. Five out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment