Saturday, April 29, 2023

Booster Gold 52 Pickup

Booster Gold, Vol. 1: 52 Pick-UpBooster Gold, Vol. 1: 52 Pick-Up by Geoff Johns
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In the aftermath of 52, Booster Gold and Rip Hunter work to save the Justice League from being erased from existence...

52 brought me back into comics after some time off and I was ready for more Booster Gold when the event wrapped. I bought the first couple years of Booster Gold as it was coming out and was thinking about digging the individual issues out of the totes when I saw they were reprinted the trade. Here we are.

I think one of the reasons I liked this so much when it was coming out is that the issues have a pacing more akin to Bronze Age comics. There's no decompression and maybe a little compression. Lots of stuff happens. Dan Jurgens and Norm Rapmund supply the art and Geoff Johns and Jeff Katz handle the writing chores.

Like I said, each issue is satisfying on its own. Booster and Rip try to fix time anomalies as best they can. Booster talks Sinestro into leaving earth, drinks whiskey with Jonah Hex, and has a heart to heart with Guy Gardner, among other things, all with an eye toward bringing Ted Kord back.

Dan Jurgens on art could easily have felt like a throwback but Norm Rapmund's inks give his pencils a more contemporary look. I'm not a huge Geoff Johns fan but the guy knows how to pace a monthly super hero book. I don't think he'll ever write something the level of Watchmen or Daredevil: Born Again but he's a cut above most monthly super hero writers at this time.

The Booster Gold doing Quantum Leap concept works as well now as it did when it was new. Four out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment