Saturday, January 6, 2024

Daredevil by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee Omnibus Volume 2

Daredevil by Waid & Samnee Omnibus vol. 2 [New Printing] (Daredevil Omnibus, 2)Daredevil by Waid & Samnee Omnibus vol. 2 [New Printing] by Mark Waid
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This collects Daredevil (2011) #28-36, Indestructible Hulk #9-10 and Daredevil (2014) #1-18, #0.1, #1.50 and #15.1.

Here we are, the second half of the longest unbroken Daredevil run in the character's history. I've been wanting to reread this run for years and this specific volume for months and months. I had a giftcard burning a hole in my pocket so here we are.

Mark Waid isn't my favorite comic writer by any stretch but he's one of my favorite Daredevil writers. With Chris Samnee handling the bulk of the art chores, this is even better than I remembered. Waid and Samnee put Matt up against threats like the Sons of the Serpent, the Owl, the Shroud, Diablo, the Stuntmaster, and others. Once Matt goes public with his identity and heads out west, the book really breaks some new ground.

This is an 800 page tome and I didn't really reveal that much. Waid and Samnee portray a happier Daredevil with the darkness lurking just beneath the surface. I don't know how the next run puts the toothpaste back into the tube but it's probably not an elegant solution. Anyway, I liked this even more the second time I read it. It looks gorgeous with Samnee and the gang at the helm and the individual issues are pretty satisfying on their own. It's steeped in Marvel history without beating you over the head with it and very accessible, much like the last volume.

Five out of five stars. I look forward to reading this run again in a few years.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment