Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Archie vs Predator

Archie vs PredatorArchie vs Predator by Alex de Campi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Archie and the gang return from spring break in Costa Rica, a teenage Predator follows them back to Riverdale. Will anyone survive the carnage that ensues?

Confession time: I read my share of Archie comics when I was 11-12 and have much love for the Predator. How could I not give this a chance?

What do you get when you mix the saccharine, G-rated teen comedy of Archie with the wholesale carnage that is the Predator? You get a bizarre comic book the likes of which have never been seen!

The first issue was a little light on the Predator but had more blood than the all the previous Archie comics I've read combined. When the Predator gets to Riverdale and starts his mass decapitations, things get gory in a hurry. Seeing someone's head and spinal column get yanked off, drawn in the Archie style, is something to behold.

The body count is surprisingly high. Since it's not bound by the Archie continuity, whatever that is, no one is safe and very few people walk out alive. It's a surreal contrast to the never-changing, ever-teenage world of Archie I remember.

Four stars, mostly for the book's train wreck appeal. That's all I have to say about that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment