Thursday, April 14, 2016

Fantastic Four - The Great American Novel?

Fantastic Four Omnibus, Vol. 1 Hey, True Believers!  As I stated in Fantastic!, the Fantastic Four is one of my favorite Marvel comics of all time.  When a friend of mine on Goodreads saw that I was reading Fantastic Four Omnibus, volume 1, he pointed me toward Fantastic Four - Great American Novel.



I've only scratched the surface of this website but Chris Tolworthy is a life-long Fantastic Four fan and has obviously put a lot of hours into analyzing the Fantastic Four and the Marvel Universe.  I don't agree with everything he's written but he makes some great points.

  1. Marvel died a little when Stan Lee instituted his "only give the illusion of change" policy.
  2. Marvel Team-Up made team-ups between super heroes less special.
  3. Twenty super-heroes existing in the real world is almost believable.  Five-thousand super heroes is preposterous.
  4. The Fantastic Four was definitely moving toward Reed and Sue leaving to raise Franklin and letting Ben and Johnny take the reigns.  I love Chris's idea about Johnny and Crystal marrying and taking the Reed & Sue spots at the head of the team.
Chris may be looking deeper than was intended at the Fantastic Four but the man's serious about his subject.  It'll probably take me a couple weeks to read and digest everything he's written.  I'm going to take it slowly since I intend to read it as a companion to the three Fantastic Four Omnibuses I have in my possession.

Fantastic Four - Great American Novel is an interesting website for Fantastic Four fans and Marvel Comics fans in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment