Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The New Teen Titans: The Terror of Trigon

The New Teen Titans: The Terror of TrigonThe New Teen Titans: The Terror of Trigon by Marv Wolfman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Continuing my comic history course...

Back in the day, The New Teen Titans was DC's top selling book every month. I had a few issues but I was mainly interested in Starfire's rack back then. I thought I'd give it another try 20-something years later.

The Terror of Trigon focuses on Raven, the cloaked Teen Titan empath that's the daughter of a demon. Trigon, her father, unleashes her powers and New York is attacked by a horde of demons and transformed into something like hell. The other Titans are the only ones left standing and have to save the world.

George Perez's art shows why he's the last of the great comic pencillers. At the time this came out, he was doing two Titans books per month AND extras on the side. And he wasn't skimping. The panels are hyper-detailed and easily stand up to what he's putting out today.

Marv Wolfman's writing is a notch above other 80's comic book fare. It's easy to see why this book was neck in neck with the X-Men every month.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment