Saturday, May 7, 2016

Marvel Unlimited FInd: Bug #1

Bug #1
March 1997
Writer: Todd DeZago
Artists: Derec Aulcon, Rich Faber, Ralph Cabera
Five out of Five stars 






The top few floors of the Baxter Building are transported into the Negative Zone and Annihilus wants the treasures within.  Standing in his way is... Bug?

I've never read a Micronauts comic before and I was only aware of Bug because I heard he joined the Guardians of the Galaxy during the DnA run.  I don't know why I picked this up but it was pretty fucking spectacular.  I was hooked when Annihilus mentioned his "throbbing cosmic rod."

Bug and Annihilus battle across time and space, which winds up being the most important battle in comics history.  Once they enter our world, they are the size of action figures and their battle is accidentally responsible for the careers of Spider-Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, The Punisher, Doctor Doom, Wolverine, Doctor Strange, and Batman, as well as Tony Stark's alcoholism and the Beast's transformation.

The art is really good for a comic book produced in 1997 and the writing is effortlessly funny.  Was this the last Micronauts story Marvel did while they had the license?

Five out of five stars for what it is.  I want more Bug!


No comments:

Post a Comment