Monday, June 13, 2016

Marvel Unlimited Find: The Amazing Six-Armed Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man 100-102
date: September - December 1971
writer: Stan Lee
artists: John Romita, Gil Kane, Frank Glacola
rating: 4 out of 5

Since I've been a tremendous comics nerd ever since I first read DC Comics Presents at the ripe old age of 5, I've long been aware that Spider-Man briefly had four extra arms, mostly due to an issue of Marvel Team-Up index.  Part of me wishes he found a way to keep them.  Anyway, thanks to the magic of Marvel Unlimited, I finally got to experience the extra arms for myself.

In order to start a life with Gwen Stacy, Peter Park takes a serum to cure himself of his Spider-powers.  He has a dream about his life as Spider-Man and wakes up with extra arms.

He goes to Doctor Curt Connors, aka The Lizard, for help with the extra arms and winds up running afoul of Morbius, the living Vampire. The Lizard and Morbius fight over the right to kill Spider-Man.

Later, Spider-Man and Curt Connors collaborate on a serum to restore Spidey to normal, using their know how and some of Morbius' blood.  Spidey's four

extra arms disappear, the end.

I find it interesting that Morbius went on to be a tweener and eventually an anti-hero as part of the Midnight Sons line.  As I said earlier, I wish Spider-Man had kept the arms somehow.

Jazzy John Romita and Gil Kane produced some iconic art in these three issues.  The writing was pretty typical of the period.  Four out of five stars, though I'm tempted to throw it another star because of the Human Centipede quip Peter makes.


No comments:

Post a Comment