Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Captain Marvel: First Contact

Captain Marvel: First ContactCaptain Marvel: First Contact by Peter David
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sidekick extraordinaire Rick Jones is saddled with Genis, the son of the deceased Captain Marvel, via Kree Nega-Bands. Complicating things is the fact that Genis cannot control his cosmic awareness.

So this is the first volume of Peter David's run on Captain Marvel. Cap and Rick Jones encounter The Hulk, Wendigo, Drax, Moondragon, the Microns, and the denizens of the Microverse.

I like how Peter David swapped the roles of Rick and Captain Marvel in this series, making Rick the mentor. The idea of Genis' cosmic awareness being on all the time further complicates things. This series has a lot of potential. However...

I'm not going to sugar coat this. Most of Peter David's attempts at humor don't really go over for me in this one. I found myself rolling my eyes on 9 out of 10 attempted jokes. Am I just being a curmudgeon? Possibly.

That being said, I enjoyed this book overall but I'm not dying to read the next volume in the series. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment