Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 6

Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 6Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 6 by John Byrne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 6 contains 276-284, Thing 23, and Secret Wars II 2.

The Fantastic Four battle a witch in Connecticut, The Thing catches Johnny with Alicia, the Baxter Building is destroyed, and the Beyonder arrives in New York. The gang fight Mephisto, encounter a brainwashed Kristoff, battle the Hate Monger, go to the Microverse to battle Psycho Man and an Invisible Girl becomes and Invisible Woman.

After six of these things, I'm running out of things to say. I can see why the John Byrne run of The Fantastic Four is looked upon as the best thing since the Stan Lee-Jack Kirby run of the 1960's. I also don't think Byrne colors outside the Lee and Kirby lines very much. Aside from the existence of Franklin Richards and She-Hulk being on the team, these could easily be Fantastic Four stories from the 1960s.

That being said, I really dug the evolution of the Sue Richards character in this volume. I still think they missed the boat with Franklin Richards, though. He could have been a top level super villain. Reed Richards continues to be my least favorite member of the Four. I also still don't buy Johnny and Alicia as a couple. I'm pretty sure she's already been replaced by a Skrull, as per the Tom DeFalco run.

3 out of 5 stars. I'm going to need a Fantastic break once I finish these.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment