Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 5

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 5Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 5 by Brian Michael Bendis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Miles Morales has been out of the super hero game for a year when Spider-Woman shows up, trying to bring him back in. Meanwhile, teen heroes Cloak and Dagger are after Roxxon oil in a big way...

I enjoyed the super hero action in this book, even if I didn't care for Cloak and Dagger that much. The Ultimate version of Taskmaster was much more fearsome than the main universe's version. Bombshell was more interesting than either Cloak or Dagger to me.

The partnership between Miles and Spider-Woman was my favorite part of the book. The super hero action was pretty spectacular. Miles continues to prove himself worthy of the Spider-mantle.

My only gripe with this series is the pace. It's agonizingly slow and there's way too much talking. Bendis writes good dialogue but he doesn't have to write so much of it. After more minimalist comics like Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon and Moon Knight, Vol. 1: From the Dead, I feel like I'm working my ass off. I respect what Bendis has done but I'd prefer someone not as long-winded to chronicle Miles' adventures at some point. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment