Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Chew volume 2: International Flavor

Chew, Vol. 2: International FlavorChew, Vol. 2: International Flavor by John Layman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After a reunion with his old partner Colby, FDA Agent Tony Chu heads to a Pacific Island to investigate a mysterious fruit that tastes like chicken when cooked and runs into an old enemy... his brother!

Chu and Colby are back together, or they are until Chu leaves town to do some investigating on his own. Chu goes to a locale and runs into some familiar faces and someone that was hinted at in the previous volume.

Since it was the second volume in the series, a little of the newness has worn off but Chu is still one of the more unusual comics I've ever read. Colby's back with half a face after taking a cleaver in the first volume and is an FDA agent. I was surprised he didn't accompany Chu aboard but I guess they'll be back together soon enough.

It was interesting seeing circumstances leading to Chu taking charge of a small police department. And, of course, eating gross things. The plot with the Gallsberry didn't go very far, although it still has potential and it did move Tony forward in some ways.

The art and the story are a perfect fit. I sure hope Rob Guillory hands the art throughout the run. The pace was a little slow for my tastes but it's actually fitting for a detective comic, even when said detective spends a lot of his time swallowing nasty morsels.

Yeah, I'm on board for many more courses. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment