Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFFMoon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF by Amy Reeder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When nine year old Lunella Lafayette finds a Kree Omni-Wave Projector, she means to use it to neutralize her dormant Inhuman genes. Instead, the device accidentally summons Devil Dinosaur and some hairy cavemen who are also looking for the Omni-Wave Projector. Can Lunella and Devil Dinosaur stop the cave men before something horrible happens?

I've heard good things about this book for the last couple years but resisted reading it since I'm a curmudgeon. Since I had some time to kill and felt like justifying my continued Marvel Unlimited subscription, I gave it a shot.

Lunella Lafayette is a nine year old super genius with dormant Inhuman genes she's deathly afraid of getting activated. She's alienated at school since she's lightyears ahead of the other kids and has no friends. Not that she wants them with all the special projects she has in the hopper. Anyway, a Kree Omni-Wave projector dumps Devil Dinosaur in her lap and a beautiful relationship blossoms...

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur feels like a Saturday morning cartoon and would work well as one. You've got the misunderstood kid and her pal, a giant red dinosaur that acts like a protective dog. The look and feel are perfect for getting kids into comics and it's not so mired in half a century of Marvel continuity as to make it inaccessible.

The art style is fresh and cartoony, reminding me of Bruce Timm or Darwyn Cooke at times. I find Lunella to be a fairly believable character. I can't imagine a nine year old genius in the Marvel Universe turning out any different.

The creative team did a stellar job taking an obscure Jack Kirby creation and breathing new life into it, creating a book that could be a gateway into comics for a whole new generation of readers. While I'm keenly aware I'm not the target audience for this, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is one adorable ass book.

Also, the Totally Awesome Hulk is a total ass. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment