Saturday, July 7, 2018

Black Hammer volume 2 - The Event

Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The EventBlack Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lucy Weber, The Black Hammer's daughter, starts trying to piece together the mystery of The Farm and the town of Rockwood but someone doesn't want her to find the answers she's looking for...

Black Hammer volume 2 has fallen into my hands and it's a whopper.

The tale of the Black Hammer is finally told and it's an homage to a slew of Jack Kirby creations like Thor, the New Gods, and the Inhumans. Talky-Walky's origin is also revealed, another Mystery in Space type of adventure, just as something sinister happens to Talky-Walky back on the farm.

More of Golden Gail's past is reveals, as it the nature of the Event that led to the heroes arriving at The Farm to begin with. More of Abraham Slam and Barbalien's pasts are also revealed. Lucy unravels the mystery of Rockwood and meets her destiny. What the hell are Madam Dragonfly and Colonel Weird up to?

Yeah, a lot of shit went down in this volume and it has me salivating for the next one. I love the depth Lemire has achieved in such a short number of issues. The world of the Black Hammer feels like it's been around for decades. The mystery surrounding Rockwood and the Farm is tantalizing and I'm ready to find out just what the hell is going on. Dean Ormstrom's moody, Mignola-esque art is perfect for the series.

I really don't have any bad things to say about The Black Hammer. The slow burning mystery of what the hell is the deal with the Farm and Rockwood has me hooked. I'll be sad to see the series end in the next volume, if that's what happens. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment