Saturday, September 29, 2018

Made in Abyss volume 3

Made in Abyss, Vol. 3Made in Abyss, Vol. 3 by Akihito Tsukushi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Riko and Reg leave Orzen and continue their descent into the Abyss. When Riko is injured by an Orb Piercer, will Reg be able to save her from its deadly poison?

Riko and Reg face emotional jeopardy as well as physical jeopardy in volume 3, leaving behind Orzen after some training, only to run into an Orb Piercer and Nanachi, a Hollow, a survivor of the Abyss. Reg goes through the wringer, first to save Riko, then to do a favor for Nanachi. If I didn't care about the little robot boy before, I surely do now.

The art continues to astound, both in its intricacy and the way it juxtaposes cute and gore. Every time I pick up a book in this series, I'm amazed by the inventiveness of the creature concepts. The shading techniques give the series a unique look.

After some missteps in volume 2, Made in Abyss rebounded in a big way. I'm officially on board for the rest of the series. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment