Friday, December 14, 2018

Inside Moebius part 1

Moebius Library: Inside Moebius Part 1Moebius Library: Inside Moebius Part 1 by Jean Giraud
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In the middle of Desert B, Moebius encounters his characters and versions of himself...

The Incal and World of Edena were marvelous so I decided to grab this one. I kind of wish I hadn't.

This book was started as a journal by Moebius when he decided to stop smoking weed. Since it was just after 9/11, 9/11 also factors into things. Anyway, there's no story as such. It's mostly Moebius interacting with his characters, plus Osama Bin Ladin and Geronimo, having existential conversations.

It's still Moebius, though, right? Well, it is but since most of the book takes place in a desert, it lacks a certain Moebius-ness. Gone are the hyper-detailed backgrounds and, frankly, some of the remaining art doesn't really measure up to Moebius' high standards set in other books.

Further more, I question the wisdom of Dark Horse including this in the Moebius library so early in its existence since their version of Arzak is long out of print and they don't have any Blueberry or stories featuring The Major in print either.

At the end, though, bad Moebius is like bad sex. It's still pretty good. I'll probably still read the next two volumes of Inside Moebius at some point but I'll probably read some of the Moebius stuff Humanoids is doing first. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment