Sunday, December 9, 2018

Madman Atomic Comics Volume 1

Madman Atomic Comics, Volume 1: Existential ExitsMadman Atomic Comics, Volume 1: Existential Exits by Mike Allred
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Madman Atomic Comics Volume 1 collections Madman Atomic Comics 1-7.

This volume picks up with Frank in a catatonic state as a result of the last volume. Frank, with Mister Excitement as a guide, struggles to escape limbo. Once he does, he goes off on a cosmic adventure to take on the Crimson King.

This was one fucked up collection. It reminded me of Jim Starlin's Adam Warlock comics from the 1970s. It was incoherent at times, as cosmic stories sometimes are, and I'm not precisely sure what happened or even if I liked it or not.

There was one sequence in limbo where Allred played with other artists' styles, drawing Madman and Mr. Excitement in the style of Archie and Richie Rich and others. I quite enjoyed that bit. Like I said before, I'm not really sure about the rest. The art in the rest of the book didn't feel like Allred's signature style and even the coloring was different. I hate to be a humbug but this didn't really feel like a Madman comic.

I'm not giving up on Madman but I'm not rushing out to buy the next volume. Two out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment