Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Unstoppable Wasp: GIRL Power

The Unstoppable Wasp: G.I.R.L. Power (The Unstoppable Wasp (2017))The Unstoppable Wasp: G.I.R.L. Power (The Unstoppable Wasp by Jeremy Whitley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Nadia Pym, daughter of Hank Pym and his first wife, spent the first part of her life in the Red Room, learning to best hone her genius. Now she's tasting life for the first time and looking for other female geniuses and fighting crime as The Unstoppable Wasp!

I originally read this on Marvel Unlimited on loved the shit out of it but knew I wanted a physical copy at some point. Fortunately for me, the digest size version came out recently and I snapped it up.
The second time through was just as good. I was worried my initial enthusiasm had blinded me but this is still great shit.

Nadia, raised in the Red Room that also spawned the Black Widow, is a ray of sunshine, bent on making the rest of her life better than the first sixteen years. Once she gets her footing, she goes about assembling a group of girl geniuses and taking on the assassins that trained her.

This isn't a typical super hero book, although there is a good amount of action. It's more of a character book with super hero stuff on the periphery. The relationships between Nadia and the rest of the cast are more interesting that people in tights punching each other anyway.

I'm not going to get too deep into the nuts and bolts but the character of Nadia won me over completely, from her interactions with Mockingbird to the Grapplers to Janet Van Fucking Dyne herself. Honestly, I didn't care much for Mockingbird or the original Wasp when I first picked this up but now I'm a fan.

Jeremy Whitely writes great characters. Period. About the only knock I have against the book is the rotation of artists, though they all do the job done, the shift is a little irritating. The book has some great panels in it, though, like the Wasp fighting as she falls down stairs, which my description is woefully inadequate for.



At the time I first read this, The Unstoppable Wasp had been cancelled. Fortunately, it's back now but it still irritates me that it was cancelled in the first place.

The Unstoppable Wasp is the best legacy character Marvel has introduced in recent years and GIRL Power is a great example of that. 5 out of 5 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment