Thursday, July 11, 2019

Big Baby

Big BabyBig Baby by Charles Burns
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Big Baby collects the adventures of Tony Delmonto, the Big Baby. It's some crazy shit!

Once upon a time, I watched a documentary about underground comics and Big Baby by Charles Burns was one of the comics featured. Now, decades later, I have it in my clutches.

Charles Burns' art reminds me of 1950s EC stuff, not only the horror stuff but Mad as well. There are grotesque figures, heavy use of blacks, and all sorts of creepy things going on. Tony's mind tends to run wild due to his obsession with horror comics so he jumps to conclusions. Not to say that he isn't encountering aliens, ghosts, subterranean beings, and a weird plague afflicting teenagers...

There's not much else to tell about this. The slim 64 page hardcover is in an oversize format, perfect for showcasing Charles Burns' art, which I am now a tremendous fan of.

Big Baby is a collection of tales that remind me of what it was like to get freaked out over bumps in the night. I need more Charles Burns! Five out of five stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment