Friday, November 22, 2019

Last Look

Last LookLast Look by Charles Burns
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A screw up named Doug deals with his feelings toward Sarah, the girl who got away, and periodically slips into a TinTin-esque fantasy world.

So I loved Big Baby and Black Hole and can't get enough of Charles Burns' art so I eventually snapped this up.

First of all, Charles Burns' art is spectacular, both his usual pop art style and the Herge-esque style of Doug's fantasies. There are lots of panels suitable for framing, in fact.

Doug's story unfolds in a circuitous way, punctuated by the TinTin interludes. Just what the hell happened between Doug and Sarah all those years ago and can Doug escape the rut his father trod through his own life?

I'm not precisely sure how to rate this. The art was gorgeous but the story wasn't anything spectacular. Three and a half maybe? I liked it but I didn't LIKE IT like it.

Last Look is another fantastic showing for Charles Burns art-wise. I wasn't enamored with the story, though. 3.5 out of 5 sugar skulls.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment