Saturday, January 11, 2020

Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Volume 3

Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 3Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 3 by Jim Aparo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Volume 3 collects a ton of Jim Aparo Batman books, primarily from The Brave and the Bold.

Jim Aparo's Batman is always the one I picture in my head when someone mentions Batman so I was all over this.

I had a couple problems with this collection right out of the gate. For one thing, the binding is so tight that the edges of pages are lost in the gutter, making some dialogue impossible to read. Another thing is that the initial story isn't complete since Aparo only drew the first three installments. I have no idea how the Batman shooting Talia in the back storyline was ever resolved.

Gripes aside, this is a visually spectacular volume. Jim Aparo was in his prime at this time and he throws the Batarang out of the park on every page. His Brave and the Bold run is top drawer despite the Zany Bob Haney anchor tied to his neck at times. He's no slouch on Untold Legend of Batman, either.

I have about half of the comics contained within in one form or another but it's nice to have them in a durable volume I don't have to worry about handling with care. I just wish it opened all the way and details weren't getting lost.

Fun fact: One of the first comics I remember owning, The Brave and the Bold 182, is part of this collection. It is still one of my favorite comics of all time, a tale of Batman teaming with the adult Robin of Earth 2 against the menace of Hugo Strange.

Despite a few disappointments, it's great having so much of my favorite Batman artist's art in one place. 4 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment