Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Silver Surfer: Black

Silver Surfer: BlackSilver Surfer: Black by Donny Cates
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As the Silver Surfer possibly faces his death at the hands of Knull, he recalls the first time he battled the dark god...

I'm not the world's biggest fan of the Silver Surfer, although I loved the Stan Lee-Moebius collaboration and also the Slott-Allred run, Doctor Who fanfic though it was at times. This has been on my radar since I first saw some art for it eons ago and I pre-ordered the treasury edition at my first opportunity.

The story is good, part Stan Lee, part Michael Moorcock. Hell, there are really only five characters to speak of. It's mostly an extended flashback to the beginning of time and the Surfer wrestling with an ethical dilemma in the present. But the art...

"Psychedelic pop art" was my first impression. Trad Moore's art is astounding, a blend of Moebius, Kirby, Ditko, and a hundred other influences. "Breathtaking" is another good way to describe it.

This is what I'm talking about:


Silver Surfer: Black is a visual masterpiece. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment